Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Digital Writing Reflection

1. What did you learn about yourself as a writer?
  • While I am not sure that I necessarily learned anything new about myself as a writer, I certainly remembered many aspects of writing that I had not explored in a long time. For instance, I used to write for fun more frequently in past years, but now primarily write for the purpose of academic papers or other required writing. Even though students write as a requirement, they should have opportunities within their requirements to write freely and about personal topics that they are invested in. 

2. What did you learn about digital writing or being a member of a digital writing community?


  • I learned that digital writing is a great way to explore a variety of writing opportunities that one cannot always experience when writing with pen and paper. I also learned that digital writing is not nearly as much of a daunting task as I was anticipating. I enjoyed being a part of a digital writing community with my peers because I was able to see multiple perspectives of the same assignment and the various creative spins that were used. 

3. What lessons can you take to your classroom or share with future teachers about integrating blogging into instruction?



  • I like the idea of using a blog in conjunction with literature through activities such as book reviews or creating a character blog. I also think blogs would be a good substitute for journals in a classroom and can act as a platform for quickwrites or collaborative writing exercises. 

4. Challenges/Successes?



  • Interestingly enough, my primary challenge and success with digital writing are one in the same. The "Tech Creation" blog was one that I was understandably nervous about. I have considered myself to be decent with technology, but not adept in a way that I could use technology to better improve my teaching. After having the time to explore some of the technology-based activities that students engage in both inside and outside of their classrooms, I see technology - particularly digital writing - as a tool that can be used to better inform students in a practical and approachable way as opposed to simply an addition to use for no real applicable purpose. 


As this semester draws to an end, I find that I have learned a great deal in this class not only about digital writing, but about a variety of ways to teach and improve most forms of students' writing. Teaching literature is the easy part; I have never been really concerned with teaching the reading aspect of English Language Arts. Prior to this semester, I was apprehensive of teaching writing skills of any kind - especially the essential argument writing necessary in secondary schools. However, now I feel much more confident in my ability to teach all forms of English in a format that is personal, meaningful, and effective. 
I have decided to leave you all with some of the things which I hope to place in my future classroom. This first one is for all of us though, from my favorite television teacher: 
  • "Believe in yourselves. Dream. Try. Do good." - Mr. Feeney
    "Don't you mean 'do well'?" - Topanga
    "No. Do good". - Mr. Feeney














2 comments:

  1. Love your memes and your advice! Part of our digital writing journey is to uncover our writing past selves sometimes! Good work rising to the challenge! I am sure that you will carve our wonderous spaces for kids to grow as both readers and writers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a super thoughtful comment ready after you first posted this, but the page refreshed and I lost it all. So, oops. Anyway, it said something along the lines of its been a fun few semesters and thanks for being my walking buddy lol I also commented how I can just picture your classroom with posters everywhere. I know you'll be a great teacher! Hope to see you around

    ReplyDelete